Thursday, May 26, 2011

When It Feels Real...

I'm not your typical romance author. I don't believe in happy endings, damsels in distress, or Prince Charming. Happily ever after? Sorry, I'm just not that kind of girl!



My work reflects this cynicism. I don't read - or write- traditional romance novels because they don't feel real to me. Somehow, I just can't believe Lady Witless and Lord Lockjaw will ride off into the sunset on a white horse, seeking their happy ending. Even if I did believe it, I wouldn't care, because it's been done a thousand times before. Any impact this fairy-tale plot line ever possessed has been compromised by serious over-use.



If you've read my work, you'll know I believe in great stories, hot sex, random hook-ups, hilarious dialogue, good quickies, and real endings- not the fairy-tale bullshit some authors want you to swallow.

Want to grab my attention as a reader? Give me something to believe in. Authentic characters, a gripping story, dialogue that mirrors the way people actually talk, and hot sex that feels real. When I can lose myself in a book- touching, tasting, and feeling the story as it plays out in my imagination- when it feels real, I'm hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment