Friday, May 27, 2011

Mood Music

I'm often asked, "Where do you get your ideas?" Every writer I know hates this question. Why? There's no real answer. Who knows where ideas come from? Is it a combination of imagination and experience? An outside force infecting the collective unconscious with inspiration? It's a mystery.


I have no idea where my ideas come from... but I can tell you this. I get some of my best ideas when I'm listening to music. The right song can really set the tone for a story or an art project. It connects me to my Muses, and helps me find The Zone, that fabled flow state from which all creative work emerges.



The Road to Inspiration...

Some of my favorite musicians/bands to sample when you're in need of inspiration...

The Stooges
Robert Johnson
Miles Davis
Thelonius Monk
Nine Inch Nails
Fiona Apple
Dr. Dre
Billie Holiday
Macy Gray
Led Zeppelin
The Doors
Janis Joplin



Big news, readers! I'm hosting a sultry summer short story contest on Indigo Skye: Ink and Art. Winners will receive fabulous prizes, and I'll publish the top stories on my site! Here's the scoop...


Theme: Heat Wave

Deadline: June 30, 2011


Submission Guidelines: Stories should be set in the summertime, in a sexy outdoor locale. The hotter, the better!


Length: 3,000 words or less


How to Enter: Email your story to indigoskyeinkandart@gmail.com before midnight on June 30, 2011. Text can appear in the body of the email, or in a separate .rtf attachment. Winning stories will be published on http://indigoskyeinkandart.blogspot.com in July.


Fabulous Prizes- E-books, signed print editions of Her Captive Muse and Red Roses & Shattered Glass, Eden Fantasys goodies, gift cards, and more!







No comments:

Post a Comment